Sunday, July 27, 2008

Gift Pillow

Pillow Instructions

For a friend that was retiring I made a pillow that her co-workers signed. I wanted to make a big huggable pillow so I bought a 20 inch pillow form 18 or so inch zipper and used leftover and scrap fabric to finish the case.


I cut 22 inch squares out of the front and back panels. Then I marked the lines for 20 inch square in the center on the fabric and then sewed the 2 squares together on 3 sides and 4 corners. You can either machine or hand sew the pillow together, seeing as the power was out the night I needed to do the sewing I opted for the hand sewing by lantern light, just makes me wonder where my rocking chair is ;) I then sewed the in the zipper. Note: always pin it in and test the layout before you sew it in place.


For the front panel I cut about a 16 inch square and decorated it with a computer and some embroidery leaving room for people to sign it. For the computer I cut 2 squares, one that was an inch or so smaller than the other. I rounded the corners on the smaller square to give more of the “tube” appearance. The keyboard was made out of a small checked fabric to give the appearance of keys on a solid background. The mouse was cut out of an oval of fabric. All of the pieces were padded with a little bit of batting to give it dimension. After the embroidered message was finished, it was time to gather the signatures on the front panel and sew it.

Tip: It might be fun to have everyone at the retirement, going away, birthday party, etc sign the pillow at the party. If you do this make sure you put a piece of card board in the middle of the pillow so the ink doesn’t bleed through to the other side.

No comments: